The services I offer are:
- science writing and editing (reports, academic papers, manuals, etc)
- design and design management
People working in science often have difficulty conveying their findings clearly and concisely to the wider world. This is where my skills as a science editor can help. The kind of work that I do includes:
- polishing a paper to improve its chances of being accepted by a journal
- adding clarity and logical structure to a report so that its findings are clear and accessible
- helping authors create documents that are appropriate for the intended audience, whether that audience is fellow scientists, grant committees, the general public or school children.
Successful editing depends on having a strong relationship between the client and the editor. I work closely with my clients to produce documents that are clear, concise, credible and appropriate for the intended audience. Thus, before starting a project, I work with the client to make sure that we are both clear about the publication's audience, purpose and message. At this stage, I also discuss the intended nature of the final product and any particular specifications; for example, length, deadlines and house style.
As the project progresses, I keep the client up-to-date and involved in any decisions to be made (e.g. on style and structure). In this way, my clients can have confidence that the final product will meet their expectations.